Saturday, September 5, 2009

Walking First Friday

I guess I should start off saying this is an assignment for my computer foundations class at Tyler and that I'm really excited to delve into this whole art school thing. As I was supposed to explore the city I figured I'd do First Friday which was the coming weekend after my first week of classes. Let me tell you, it truly was an experience.
First of all I've never taken the subway or the train alone before so that was an adventure in itself. The plan was to meet my friend Sinead , yes like Sinead O'connor, and some people she met from her classes at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (PAFA). It was, after all, First Friday and what better to do than wander the galleries with a couple of art students you've never met before?
I arrived at city hall expecting Sinead and company to help me find my way around center city. It turns out there was no previous discussion of where exactly we were headed which lead to us taking the longest possible route to old city. Eventually we made it and the First Friday experience began.
I will say that there were a few galleries that just didn't or couldn't hold my interest. In fact I don't even remember what the first few were all about for they were overshadowed by a fantastic artist on the street, I feel horrible because I didn't catch his name, and a table handing out information for Health reform.
There were a few that really caught my attention though. The gallery didn't exclusively show pieces by her but Hadieh Shafie had an impressive display of designs of rolled up paper. Each one popped out of the wall about three inches and the color paired with the pattern was mesmerizing. Another opening was for David Febland an amazing oil painter who concentrated on the theme of "Heat Seekers". Like the title of his series says.
The streets were lined with musicians and artists setting up shop for some extra cash. While we rested at an abandoned stoop I worried we would become, if not be mistaken for, another side attraction with our bags and odds and ends scattered everywhere.
As all things do the night was coming to an end and I had to get my butt over to the closest/safest train station so I could spend the weekend home in New Jersey. By then I was completely tired out and panicked about whether or not I had enough pictures because I never kept count. Turns out I was fine and my adventure in the city was a good one.

until next time
~Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment